Website Portsmouth City Council
Working under Team Leaders and the Regulatory Services Manager, and extremely closely with a team of Port Health Officers, the role of an Official Veterinarian will involve assisting with the service objectives of the Portsmouth Port Health Authority to protect public, animal and environmental health.
- Preventing and control the incidence of infectious disease and food-borne infections
- Assisting in the provision of a quality regulatory service in Port health, providing a high level of customer service whilst working effectively with business to protect public health
- Carrying out a range of health controls including checks on imported food, as well as assisting with port health checks on imported goods
- Carrying out surveillance for other animal diseases and administration of the Pet Travel Scheme
- Checking the certification of food products for exportation
- Managing projects, assist in enforcement proceedings and manage complex casework
- Implementing food and feed checks in order to ensure that only products that are safe to eat enter the food chain, animal and public health is safeguarded and compliance with EU/UK rules and international trading standards are secured.
- Carrying out regulatory inspections and risk assessments
You will be an experienced qualified veterinarian, authorised by the Animal Plant and Health Agency (APHA) or be a qualified Veterinarian willing to undertake the Official Controls Qualification (Veterinarian) (OCQ(V)) training with a view to becoming an APHA approved Official Veterinarian.
You will also have a working knowledge of delivering imported food controls.
Company: Portsmouth City Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Plymouth, GB
Application Deadline: N/A