Twilio is looking for an experienced Managing Counsel to lead Twilio’s commercial legal team in the eastern half of North America. This role can be remote, but the individual should be located in the Eastern time zone. In this role, you will lead the further growth of Twilio’s Commercial Legal Team in this region and support the commercial contract work for Twilio’s Enterprise Sales organization.
- BE AN OWNER: Manage and mentor an existing team of commercial lawyers and contract professionals. Take ownership of the drafting, review, negotiation, and management of a wide range of legal agreements. Advise Twilio’s internal clients on contract interpretation and negotiation. Champion Twilio’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring Twilio’s compliance policies are in practice and protect the company from risk, comply with all applicable local laws and regulations, and are in line with Twilio’s values.
- WEAR THE CUSTOMER’S SHOES: Seek to understand the context of the positions of Twilio’s customers and the requests from Twilio’s internal clients. Strive to solve problems and address issues from their perspectives.
- WRITE IT DOWN: Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard commercial templates. Create processes and procedures to help support a rapidly-growing, global business.
- RUTHLESSLY PRIORITIZE: Partner with Sales leadership to ensure the commercial legal team is working on the right deals at the right time.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Train and mentor the commercial legal team on negotiation strategy and substantive legal skills.
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer.
- 8+ years of legal experience, with at least 5+ years negotiating complex technology transactions (e.g., XAAS).
- 2+ years managing a small to mid-sized team of direct reports (at least a team of 4 reports).
- Ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” who is able to both negotiate complex transactions and manage/mentor a team of lawyers and contract professionals.
- Experience supporting a large sales organization selling to an enterprise customer base (e.g., F500, G2000).
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including Master Services
- Agreements, Professional Services Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, etc.
- Proven ability to provide entrepreneurial, quick-thinking, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and recommendations that properly balances the legal risk and business reward
- Must be able to take complex legal concepts and explain them in a way that allows a non-lawyer to understand the issue and the associated risk
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A