Website Portsmouth City Council
The purpose of our service is “to help keep the city safe, clean and tidy and provide advice/support when needed”
As a service we take pride in our work by valuing others, focusing on what’s important so that we make a real and positive difference. Our values are outlined in our Ways of Working and our Guiding Principles and if they reflect who you are and how you work then this could be the role that meets your expectations
- The role involves carrying out grounds maintenance and cleaning tasks at various housing sites, including high-rise blocks and sheltered schemes.
- Depending on the needs of the service and seasonal demand, you will be a gardener within the team when needed and will be expected to use a range of equipment including strimmers, pedestrian mowers, hedge cutters, ride-on mowers and a range of hand tools. You may also be required to carry out weed-spraying and planting.
- Our service is demand-led which means you will have to be able to assess what needs doing at each job and prioritise tasks that pose potential risks, dealing with these first and then carrying out the remainder of the grounds maintenance or cleaning tasks in an organised/systematic/methodical way.
- In addition to daily activities, you may be required to carry out specialist cleaning tasks, such as steaming, jet-washing and buffing.
- Gardening and cleaning experience would be an advantage but not essential, as full training will be given. You will be required to carry out gardening and internal and external cleaning throughout the year working in all weathers.
- You need to be flexible in where you work, including moving around different teams and housing areas, sometimes at short notice, in order to allow us to effectively run our service. It is imperative that you are reliable and a good timekeeper.
- You must have a good understanding of Health & Safety practices and be able to demonstrate safe methods of work when gardening and cleaning which promotes the health and safety of yourself and others. You will need to use equipment correctly and be prepared to carry out regular care and maintenance of the equipment provided.
- In addition to gardening and cleaning around the estate, you will be required to deal with customer feedback which will involve speaking to residents as well as reporting bulky items, communal repairs and anti-social behaviour issues to the relevant departments.
- Good communicate skills are essential, both over the phone and face-to-face. You will be working either in a small team or on your own and will be required to self-manage in order to meet our purpose at each job you are assigned.
- To be a motivated, hard-working and conscientious individual who is able to use initiative when necessary and take pride in the work.
- To be a team-player with good self-awareness, supporting others in meeting the Green & Clean purpose.
- To be a confident and calm person who is able to be diplomatic in challenging situations.
- To be able to make good decisions, take responsibility for actions and learn from any mistakes made.
- To have the ability to converse at ease with customers and colleagues in accurate spoken English.
- To be able to communicate effectively and be a good listener.
- To be flexible and able to adapt to changing work situations.
- To be an honest person with a positive attitude and good work ethic
Company: Portsmouth City Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Southampton, GB
Application Deadline: N/A