Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo’s cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin’s sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
- Creates mood through lighting of levels and cinematics that is consistent with art direction and gameplay needs.
- Establishes strong color palettes, value structures and compositions through lighting.
- Adjusts post effects for level including exposure, color grading, fog, bloom, etc.
- Communicates with level art and design to ensure lighting is achieving art and gameplay goals.
- Maintain visual continuity and performance throughout the game.
- Interested in the study and expression of light through photography or painting is a plus.
- Experience using a current generation real-time lighting engine like Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc.
- Exceptional eye for color, value and composition expressed through lighting.
- Able to manage and organize work in order to meet deadlines.
- Is self-motivated and can work through and solve problems.
- Understanding of real-world lighting values and exposure, and how they affect an image.
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and the interaction between materials and lighting
- Ability to follow concept/reference and the ability to work within a wide range of styles with minimal direction.
- Experience lighting levels for games and dealing with the challenges caused by gameplay requirements.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Salt Lake, UT, US
Application Deadline: N/A