Website County of Los Angeles
A Building Engineering Inspector performs a combination of the following essential job functions: inspects site grading, building, plumbing, and electrical and mechanical construction and installations on single-family dwellings and minor commercial and industrial buildings to ensure conformity with code requirements and zoning ordinances; reviews plans for building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical details to determine code and ordinance compliance prior to performing inspections; assists in performing inspections of the more complex structures such as multi-storied buildings; initiates changes to private construction site work in structural, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and related features to meet code requirements; initiates soil tests where evidence indicates soil instability; inspects rehabilitation projects to ensure compliance with current code requirements and zoning ordinances; performs business license inspections to ensure code and ordinance compliance; processes permit requests at public counters; prepares reports and maintains records related to code inspection or plan checking; files complaints against willful violators of the County Building Laws and testifies in court, if necessary; and drives a motor vehicle to get to various inspection sites on a routine basis.
- Applicants qualifying under OPTION II must submit a copy of their transcript with their application at the time of filing. The transcript must indicate completion of 60 semester or 90 quarter units (equivalent to two years of coursework) and the area of specialization. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application filing; however, official transcripts will be verified at the time of appointment. Applications submitted without the required transcripts will be rejected as incomplete.
- Applicants qualifying under OPTION III must have County status as a Building Engineering Inspector Aid as evidenced by holding such payroll title for the required period of time. No out-of-class experience will be accepted.
- Applicants MUST attach copies of their valid certification in building inspection and a valid certification in one of the following: electrical, plumbing, or mechanical inspection to their application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without the required certificates will be rejected as incomplete.
Qualification & Experience:
- One year of experience as a General Contractor, Building Construction project lead/working supervisor or Superintendent, or inspector of building construction for compliance with building codes
- A valid California Class C Driver License is required to perform job-related essential functions.
- Completion of two years in an accredited college or university with specialization in engineering, architecture or inspection technology*
- One year of building inspection experience as a Building Engineering Inspector Aid** in the service of the County of Los Angeles.
Company: County of Los Angeles
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Las Vegas, NV, US
Application Deadline: N/A