Website City of Victoria
Perform administrative, technical and regulatory functions related to the processing and issuance of building, plumbing, electrical, sign and other construction-related permits in accordance with applicable bylaws, statutes and regulations; coordinate permit records and website information.
- Coordinate the distribution of permit related process information on the City’s website by collecting information and drafting content in consultation with department and communications staff; upload content to website.
- Receive, review and analyse sign permit applications and perform calculations to assess compliance with sign regulation bylaw, respond to applicant regarding compliance or changes required to meet compliance; recommend application for approval or denial to Chief Building Inspector; monitor and follow-up on status of applications.
- Provide coordination for a Permits and Inspections records management system, both electronic and paper; make recommendations for improvements to departmental processes such as permit circulation and record keeping in relation to drawings, permit related documents and paperwork in address files; research and develop content for division forms such as applications and checklists; facilitate approved changes.
- Administer system for permit issuance process, including intake, circulation and issuance using the departmental electronic permit tracking system; generate reports to facilitate and track permit status; maintain and update spreadsheet database to track new and archived plans.
- Respond to enquiries from the public, professional consultants and other departments by providing information regarding records, fees, permit procedures, bylaws and policies; schedule on-site appointments for inspectors; direct enquiries to appropriate department. Calculate applicable permit costs and make adjustments as required; collect payments for a variety of permits and services; issue approved permits as required; enter and update transactions into computerized cash and inventory control system; balance and verify daily revenue; prepare bank deposits; maintain records of deposits, permits and fees.
- Receive permit applications, plans and required documents for building, plumbing, electrical, demolition, sign, blasting and excavation; review applications and assist applicant to ensure completeness of information; update property records and enter permit information onto permit tracking system; administer permit application circulation to required departments; review departmental comments and inform applicants of issues requiring changes; maintain a variety of manual and computerized records and related files; request and collect required documentation such as Home Owner Protection Office certification, Development Cost Charges, letters of assurance, blasting insurance, letters of credit and additional fees; issue occupancy/completion certificates upon approval; forward to appropriate departments for refund of deposits, business license approval, B.C. Assessment and Finance Department for new or changes to services.
- Sit or stand with arms unsupported while keyboarding. (frequent)
- Work is generated by construction and sign permit activity and requests for service or is assigned by supervisor.
- Issues such as building, plumbing and electrical code enquiries are referred to inspectors.
- Type 60 wpm; working level operation of current City word processing, spreadsheet and other related departmental software.
- Prolonged standing at counter. (often)
- Work is reviewed through discussions with supervisor.
- Work from ladder while filing. (occasional)
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Read and interpret technical drawings and plans.
- High school graduation.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Understand and apply administrative and regulatory functions related to processing and issuance of sign and construction-related permits.
- Use standard office equipment.
- Lift, carry or transport medium to heavy weight plans and material. (occasional)
- Maintain accurate records and coordinate record keeping practises.
- Accredited courses in Engineering or Architectural Technology. (6 Months)
- 2 years of related experience.
- Interpret related policies, regulations and bylaws.
- Deal effectively with the public and outside agencies.
Company: City of Victoria
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Application Deadline: N/A