Website Public Service
The Veterinary Technical Services Section at the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg provides ethical and safe use of laboratory animals in the areas of animal housing, veterinary nursing care, performance of medical techniques, and support systems. This core service enables the research and diagnostic activities of the Canadian Science Centre of Human and Animal Health. In accommodating the small animal procedures of client programs, the facility contributes to the development of knowledge and technologies that strengthen the capacity to detect and respond to infectious disease threats in Canada and internationally on a day-to-day basis or in an outbreak scenario. We are seeking an individual to fill the position of Veterinary Technologist. You will be amongst a team of staff working at the forefront of science in Containment Level II and Containment Level III Animal Facilities.
- Ability to conduct laboratory assays such as CBC, Electrolytes, PCV, X-ray, fecal floatation etc.
- Willingness and Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment as part of the mitigation measures indicated in Risk Assessments associated with containment level(s) and Animal Use Documents
- Biomedical Investigation and Intervention: Relates to the methods and techniques of animal science, including those for: the conduct of laboratory research, experimentation, testing and record keeping while in compliance with quality assurance standards.
- Health, Safety and Security: Relates to the maintenance and operation of personal protective equipment to minimize risks when handling potentially hazardous chemicals, biologicals and animals.
- Medical Clearance
- Ability to assist with or conduct minor animal surgical procedures.
- Willingness and ability to participate in the Medical Surveillance Program (Occupational Health) which may require certain vaccinations and medical clearances to work in the animal facility(ies)
- Ability to run specialized animal monitoring equipment (Blood Pressure, Pulse oximeter, etc).
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduate with post-secondary diploma or certificate for a minimum 2 year course program in the animal health technology (Veterinary Technologist) field from a recognized technical college,
- an undergraduate animal science degree from a recognized post secondary institution, with extensive (5 years) animal experience will be considered.
- Experience in animal nursing care, health, behavior and handling of a variety of animal species.
- Experience in anesthetizing various animal species via inhalation and injectable methods.
- Experience in collecting animal samples such as blood and tissues, performing injections by various routes on multiple species.
- Experience in a variety of software applications, including Microsoft Windows Office applications (Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint).
Company: Public Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA
Application Deadline: N/A