Website U.S. Department of Homeland Security
This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), United States Coast Guard, Atlantic Area (LANTAREA), D5 – Coast Guard District Five, Sector Delaware Bay in Philadelphia, PA.
As a Marine Inspector, this position provides technical expertise and leadership in the enforcement of marine safety, vessel inspection, pollution prevention, vessel manning, regulations, treaties, and international conventions. The Marine Inspector serves as the civilian resident Prevention Department’s source for continuity of previous inspection policies, technical issues, special program support activity and a primary inspection representative with the maritime industry responsible for commercial vessel safety.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Conducting reviews of vessel’s plans, safety management systems and operating systems to determine compliance with regulations and applicable standards.
- Determining that vessels being inspected have the proper documents and certificates on board and in effect.
- Inspecting a vessel’s hull, including the hull envelope, internal structural members, protrusions, fittings, appendages, special tanks, holding areas, special use structure (e.g., chemical tanks, proximity of certain operations to restricted vessel areas), and structural fire protection to ensure that they are in sound condition, that damage or deformity is within acceptable parameters for safe vessel usage, and that all hull systems are in compliance with applicable safety standards.
- Identifying hazardous conditions, notes violations of accepted vessel specifications and operational requirements, and prescribes acceptable methods of correcting these conditions.
- Ensuring the required inspection documentation is prepared and appropriate orders drafted specifying any required changes, repairs or operational limitations for the vessel and its equipment.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Applicant is required to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
- The position requires a valid state driver’s license.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
Company: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A