Website Government of Canada
As per the new Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination for the Core Public Administration Including the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, federal public servants in the Core Public Administration and members of the RCMP must attest to their vaccination status. The requirement for employees to be fully vaccinated applies whether they are teleworking, working remotely or working on-site. This is a condition of employment and it applies to indeterminate (permanent), determinate (term), casual, and student hiring. Should you reach the point in the selection process where it is necessary to verify terms and conditions of employment then the hiring manager or a human resources representative will contact you in order to complete an attestation
- The Aquatic Science Biologist III positions at DFO are diverse in their duties and required skill sets as they contribute to the full range of DFO’s core areas of research.
- In general terms, an Aquatic Science Biologist III employee is expected to: plan, conduct and lead field or laboratory activities; supervise support staff; present information and work results to stakeholders, develop quantitative models to analyze and interpret data; prepare and present reports in support of requests for advice; contribute to the peer review of reports and scientific publications; publish as lead author and co-authors of technical reports; and contribute to the scientific understanding of Canada’s aquatic resources and ecosystems.
- They are expected to deliver programs to support decisions by the various management sectors that affect Canadians and the aquatic resources of Canada.
- A pool of qualified candidates will be established and may be used to staff permanent or temporary positions within the Science Branch.
- This process may be used to staff similar positions with various tenures within Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
- We are located in Mont-Joli (Maurice-Lamontagne Institute) on the Estuary of the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
- The institute is an unique workplace where you can achieve your professional goals, while working with people who are passionate about their field.
- Knowledge of sampling plans and methods for estimating populations.
- Ability to write scientific documents.
- Accept and be able to travel and to work outside of normal working hours.
- Valid driving license.
- Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language(s) of their choice.
- Medical fitness in accordance with certification by Health Canada.
- A test may be administered.
- Agree to travel for meetings for periods of up to two consecutive weeks.
- Accept and be able to work at sea and in the field for periods of up to 6 consecutive weeks.
- Ability to plan, organize and establish priorities.
- Ability to analyze science issues and provide advice and recommendations.
- You must provide proof of your education credentials.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of statistical and mathematical techniques for data analysis in biological sciences.
- An interview may be administered.
Qualification & Experience:
- At least two years of experience conducting scientific activities in one of the following areas: population science, stock and/or population assessment, ecology, ecosystem sciences, habitat sciences.
- At least two years of experience in conducting quantitative analyses and interpreting complex data using statistical analytical techniques or tools associated with biological and ecological studies.
- Experience in statistical programming using statistical software such as R, Matlab, or SAS.
- Experience in writing scientific papers or technical documents.
- Experience in developing statistical models, in particular those related to stock assessment and/or populations, survey data analysis, or risk assessment.
- Experience in supervising science staff or coordinating a science team.
- Experience coordinating science projects, science programs or science initiatives.
- Experience developing and providing science-based advice and recommendations to scientists, managers, or stakeholders.
- Experience working at sea.
- Experience working in fisheries science, including fisheries-environment interactions.
- Experience in the use of large databases.
Company: Government of Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Mont-Joli, Québec, CA
Application Deadline: N/A