Website Government of Canada
The Financial and Enterprise Risk (FER) department supports an enterprise-wide view of risk management across the Bank of Canada. Reporting to the Chief Risk Officer, the department is responsible for the oversight of our enterprise and financial risks. Within FER, the Financial Risk Office (FRO) monitors, reports and advises on financial risks arising from our monetary policy and financial stability activities as well as those inherent in our balance sheet and pension fund. The FRO consists of three teams, focusing respectively on Fiscal agent risk, Bank of Canada (BoC) risk, and Financial Risk Reporting. The BoC team conducts scenario analysis and stress testing exercises to assess our capital adequacy. The team also contributes to the measurement and management of our climate-related financial risks.
- provide advice, guidance, and training on business issues to FRO operational and analytical staff
- play a leading role in our second-line-of-defence and demonstrate the skills necessary to perform an effective challenge function to policy proposals from the first line
- substitute for the Assistant Director in his/her absence
- contribute to improvements of the portfolio management and information systems
- monitor and report the first line business activities to ensure that their activities are aligned with risk appetites and guidelines
- actively contribute to the development and implementation of the team’s work plan
- work with other departments to suggest, lead and conduct in-depth, high-quality, longer-term analytical projects to enhance our understanding of risk-management practices
- leading by example, coaching, and developing junior colleagues
- Please save a copy of the job poster. Once the closing date has passed, it will no longer be available.
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
- communicating effectively, both orally and in writing, to a broad range of audiences by adapting one’s language to the audience, by clarifying complex information and by conveying sensitive information in an appropriate manner
- Security level required:
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- completion of, or enrolment in, the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), or similar program
- analyzing complex issues, diagnosing multi-dimensional problems, and devising appropriate responses or strategies on risk-management issues
- Proficiency with common analytical tools (e.g. VBA, Matlab) and/or ability to leverage tools for data extraction and aggregation (e.g. SQL, PowerQuery or Power BI)
- developing models to analyze financial risks by applying appropriate methods and validating other internally developed models
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and further to public health guidelines, preventative measures are being taken to ensure health and safety during the recruitment process. All interviews are conducted virtually.
- quickly grasping the essence of policy and technical issues and developing insightful concepts, models, or frameworks to address them
- Language requirement: English and French essential (bilingual) with a minimum starting level of intermediate (level 3) in second official language. Training may be provided to help reach the required level of functional (level 4) in second official language.
Company: Government of Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A