Website Government of Canada
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- The position is responsible for developing, implementing, evaluation and administering the AAFC Guidelines and Programs on Containment, Biosafety, and Biosecurity (CBB) at a research centre with a Level 2 (CL-2) containment pilot plant.
- As the Local Biological Safety Officer, the position is required to make recommendations to the Research Manager and/or Science Director on the delivery of a biosafety program appropriate to this Centre.
- As Pilot Plant Coordinator, this position coordinates and schedules daily activities of a containment Level 2 food processing facility (Pilot Plant) which is operated by departmental employees and by external clients.
- The position serves as a technical advisor for planning, organizing and coordinating research projects conducted in the pilot plant facility to maximize efficiencies.
- The Guelph RDC focuses on research and development in food safety and value added food attributes to help foster a profitable agri-food sector in Canada.
- A unique pilot-scale food research facility (Containment Level-II) and analytical facilities enable scientists to study pathogen survival rates during food processing and identify healthy food attributes.
- This work helps Canada continue to lead in food safety and promotes the availability of healthy foods.
- AAFC is committed to diversity and inclusion and is proud to be recognized as one of Canada’s best diversity employers.
- We believe our organization is most effective when it reflects the diversity of Canadian populations it serves and that achieving diversity in the workplace can start with a hiring process.
- We strive to create an environment where Diversity and Inclusion are at the forefront. AAFC has five designated Diversity Networks, dedicated to ensuring that we continue to grow as an inclusive, respectful and diverse workplace.
- Regardless of whether you are a member of the diversity groups, all employees are welcomed to join the Networks and participate in their activities and events.
- We are proud to be a workplace that embraces and values diverse perspectives, experiences and cultures.
- We value the unique talents and experiences of all employees.
- AAFC employees are given the opportunity to grow and reach their full potential within our organization through various programs and training.
- Knowledge of Legislation and Regulations pertaining to the handling of human/animal pathogens and toxins.
- Reference checks may be sought.
- All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
- You must provide proof of your education credentials.
- Depth, breadth, type of work-specific experience.
- Matching of the individual’s experience or qualifications to the specific duties of the position being staffed.
- Asset qualifications may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
- An interview may be administered.
- Level/degree of one or more competencies/qualifications.
- Various assessment tools may be used, such as, standardized tests, interviews, references, board member knowledge, etc.
- Knowledge of appropriate disinfection protocols and methods for verification of effective sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of food processing, microbial counts, identification methods, microbial physiology and microbial ecology.
- A random or top down selection of candidates may be used in the determination of those to be given further consideration in the assessment process.
- You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
- Matching of the individual’s experience or qualifications to the strengths and weaknesses of the work team.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience in interacting and communicating with senior management through oral and written communication.
- Experience in developing, implementing, evaluating, and administering SOPs and guidelines for microbial safety in a Containment Level 2 (CL2) research facilities.
- Experience in providing guidance and training to Supervisors and Employees regarding operational and design requirements necessary to achieve CL2 compliance.
- Experience conducting biosafety and biosecurity risk assessment.
- Experience in interacting with government and industrial partners and regulatory agencies.
- Experience in providing science-based and sound recommendations on biosafety to the Associate Director, Research Development and Technology Transfer and / or Director, RDT
- Experience in coordinating and scheduling daily activities of a containment Level 2 food processing facility (Pilot Plant).
- Experience in microbial identification.
- Experience in planning, organizing and coordinating research projects conducted in the pilot plant or CL2 facility.
- Experience in working in a food processing environment including pilot plant.
- Experience in working with pathogenic microorganisms.
Company: Government of Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Application Deadline: N/A