Website Government of Canada
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- Contribute to the development and preparation of research tools (logbook, forms, correspondence, databases, etc.).
- Make public presentations on the research project.
- Participate in meetings and working groups related to the research project.
- Carry out data collection on board the shrimp vessels.
- Redaction of professional and scientific reports, presentations and communications.
- Collaborate with the team of researchers for the successful completion of the project.
- Compile, process and analyze the data collected on board the shrimp vessels.
- The assistant will make approximately 12 sea trips on different fishing vessels.
- The place of onboarding may vary depending on the vessel’s operations.
- The duration of the trips may vary depending on the time of year, the fishing location and the planned route of the vessel (average between 5 and 8 days).
- The workplace will be located at the Transport Canada Marine Safety and Security Service Center in Rimouski. You must be able to drive to various fishing ports.
- The work schedule is 37.5 hours for a regular work week. However, while at sea, a work day may last up to 16 hours over a 24-hour period.
- Teleworking will be authorized according to organizational needs and directives and at the judgment of the supervisor.
- Be able and willing to undergo exposure to a high level of noise, unpleasant odors and extreme and changing weather and sea conditions, when traveling at sea.
- At all times, be prepared to work or travel outside of normal working hours, and / or during days of rest and holidays.
- When traveling at sea, be prepared to work up to 16 hours in a 24-hour period.
- Be able and willing to share cramped living quarters with fishermen.
- Be prepared at all times to make sea trips lasting several days on board shrimp vessels in the waters of the Gulf and the St. Lawrence estuary.
- Be able and willing to undergo exposure to dangerous situations (risk of falling, danger caused by moving parts, etc.) on board vessels.
Qualification & Experience:
- University research experience requiring the handling of measurement and data collection tools.
- Experience in collecting, compiling, and analyzing experimental data.
- Work experience at sea in the fields of navigation or boating.
Company: Government of Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Rimouski, Québec, CA
Application Deadline: N/A