Website City of Victoria
The City of Victoria oversees an extensive network of parks and open spaces, natural assets, as well as sport and recreation facilities, serving residents of the capital region. The Parks, Recreation and Facilities department is seeking a self-starting individual, with exceptional skills and technical competence, to fill the Assistant Director (AD) of Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces role. The AD will be committed to fostering a culture of collaboration and delivering relevant, high-quality services, for a rapidly growing community. The successful candidate will be a thoughtful leader, ready and able to help advance an ambitious strategic plan.
- The AD will have considerable experience in the both the long-term planning and delivery of public services, including parks and recreation.
- A priority focus of the AD is the implementation of the City’s Parks and Open Spaces Master Plan and will include leading exciting projects such as the development of a park acquisition strategy and climate action initiatives.
- The AD is responsible for a team, presently comprised of three exempt mangers, and approximately 200 staff in a unionized environment.
- The role requires a skilled individual who can develop and clearly articulate plans to meet objectives safely and efficiently.
- The AD is accountable for the effective delivery of programs and services as well as capital projects, and the management of associated resources.
- This leader is an exceptional communicator who collaborates with a broad range of stakeholders to ensure needs are understood and sustainable solutions developed to achieve targets.
- The AD will assist the Director in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic initiatives and support the team to deliver on commitments.
- The AD leads by example, demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism, work ethic and integrity.
- The AD will be an experienced advocate for inclusion and will help advance the City’s commitments to equity and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples.
- This leader will be called upon to represent both the department and the municipality in meetings with community members, agencies, businesses, and other levels of government.
- All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume.
- University Degree in Public Administration, Urban Forestry, Recreation, Planning, Business Administration or other related discipline.
- Ten years of progressively responsible leadership/management experience in a government setting or other similar service-based environment.
Company: City of Victoria
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Application Deadline: N/A