Our service handles significant Internet traffic generated by both internal and external customers who build their own products and services using EC2. On any given day, we use Java, Kotlin, Python, Ruby as well as various Native AWS services and Amazon-internal tools. We don’t expect you to be an expert in, or know all these technologies, but we do expect you to be excited to learn about them. As a leader in this team, you will work with the team to develop high quality designs and solutions to complex problems. You will operate with limited guidance and take a long term view of your team’s services and how they fit into the broader architecture. You will have opportunities to work with other engineers building similar core components to ensure that teams are building towards a broader architecture that supports Amazon-scale business needs.
- We follow a DevOps model and we try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a more well rounded engineer, to enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- As an Amazonian, you’ll enjoy interacting with some of the most talented engineers in our industry through breakfast talks and demos, internal communities and extensive training materials that span all aspects of our business.
- Engineers in our teams have a strong sense of ownership, drive innovation and have resounding impact in how we develop and deliver software at such a large scale.
- This position involves on-call responsibilities.
- This is typically once every 6 weeks. We don’t like to be paged unnecessarily and we strive to keep this down and ensure that our systems are fault tolerant.
- Our team values work-life balance and we respect one another’s time.
- We care about career growth. We are looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, curious, empathic, motivated and reliable.
- With cloud computing in its infancy, we are just starting to scratch the surface of the opportunity that lies before us.
- If this sounds like the place for you, we’d love you to come and build with us.
- Someone who is comfortable working within a diverse team
- Working knowledge of AWS products and technologies
- Masters Degree
- Effective written communication and verbal agility are beneficial
- Analytical skills with excellent problem solving abilities
- 5+ years of industry experience in a software development environment
- Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent working experience
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Application Deadline: N/A