The ASL Interpreter is a key member of our accommodation team, providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants, candidates and/or employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The interpreter assignments may include in-person services for group meetings or events, as well as meetings with individual employees. Interpreter services may also be delivered via video conference. An Interpreter can be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days, permanently or temporarily. The Interpreter is a subject matter expert in ASL interpretation services, with the ability to offer consultation and collaborate across teams to solve complex problems in ASL language accommodations. Successful interpreters are highly skilled, adept in responding to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture, and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. The Interpreter will be called upon to provide general dialogic interpretation, including conversations of a sensitive nature, such as performance management or review. In addition, stage events, highly technical meetings and recorded presentation or meeting-style circumstances are common. Interpretation in this role may also involve periods of standing, and walking in a fast-paced environment with possible varied noise levels.
- Communicate well in both verbal and written English
- Ensure compliance with standard work, code of professional conduct, federal/state regulations, and company policy
- Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work.
- Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of Amazon’s culture and customs
- Provide effective communication in a video environment and/or on-site services environment
- Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings and roles
- Flexible in work hours to support meetings sometimes outside of traditional business hours
- Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments. Consult, coordinate and partner with our third party administrator, HR,
- Address and respond to sensitive situations
- Multi-task between interpreting effectively while using video-based technology
- Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language
- Respond to employee-impacting issues that may arise during the interpreting event and ensure the right communication occurs
- Troubleshoot issues and seek to remove barriers before, during, or after an interpreting event
- Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Work effectively with minimal supervision
- Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines
- Collaborate in a professional manner with multiple internal and interdisciplinary teams
- Intermediate skills with MS Office tools such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing
- CASLI Certification
- Experience using tactile ASL, tactile, and close visual interpretation for individuals who are Deaf-Blind
- Oral interpretation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on lip-reading
- Multilingual skills (French, LSQ)
Qualification & Experience:
- 5 years professional interpreting experience in a wide variety of environments, including technical/software business and warehouse settings.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university or equivalent
- CASLI membership
- Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills
- 3 + years of related professional interpreting experience, including VRI services, with strong demonstrated experience interpreting in the all areas of business and/or warehouse environments/
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Brampton, ON, USA
Application Deadline: N/A